Atkinson Memorial Church
The congregation of the Atkinson Memorial Church commissioned CHA to create an addition to their historic 1925 church, providing classrooms and elevator access into the church. The site is located within the McLoughlin Historic Conservation District, and the design was approved by neighborhood, city and state review agencies.
The 6,000 square foot addition connects to the church on two levels in a manner respectful of its original aesthetics and with a minimal disruption of historic fabric. The new building transitions from the two story lobby with brick cladding to the one story wing of classrooms, designed to reflect the adjacent historic homes in materials and massing.