The Madeleine Parish
The Madeleine Parish came to Carleton Hart with a desire to reimagine their original church sanctuary to better serve spiritual gatherings and celebrations, while preserving this historic church. The church is located on the second floor of a 1911 building in the Irvington National Historic District. The project restores the “Old Church” and vestibule and provide space for prayer, learning, performance, and community gathering to better accommodate the growing parish. The scope of work includes structural upgrades; rebuilding the south stair tower; installing high efficiency heating and cooling; and upgrading security, lighting, electrical, and fire and safety systems. The renovated Old Church space will serve the music program and service ministries and function for daily Mass, smaller weddings and funerals, and contemplative prayer.
Designing for flexibility is critical to accommodate a variety of groups and uses. These multiple functions must all be accommodated without interfering with school activities and other events in the Parish Hall. Restroom facilities, kitchenette, janitorial and storages will also receive upgrades. The project will address code compliancy, as well as accessibility to the upper floor. Exterior work includes roof work to accommodate a third story hallway and an elevator overrun, a skylight over the reading room, and a new dormer to provide outside air to the air handling unit.
CHA worked closely with a Project Committee on a variety of operational details in developing the conceptual design and cost estimate. A detailed digital model was created, and graphics produced to aid in the fundraising campaign. The project is currently in construction.